Ibstock takes its name from the original base in the village of Ibstock in Leicestershire, where the Company headquarters is still situated. Brickmaking has taken place on the site as far back as 1830. In 1899, the Company was registered as Ibstock Collieries Ltd. Its principal activity was coal mining as well as quarrying clay for the manufacture of bricks and pavers.
During the next 30 years, the trading emphasis changed from coal to manufacture of brick from its original Leicestershire base.
In 1963, following the acquisition of Himley Brick Company Ltd, near Wolverhampton, Ibstock shares were offered to the public for the first time. There then followed a major expansion programme in the UK designed to extend the products and services by the Company more widely throughout the country.
In 1970, The Ibstock Brick and Tile Company Ltd combined with Johnsen, Jorgensen & Wettre Ltd, whose business was the sale of wood pulp and newsprint in the UK and Western Europe, to form a new parent company, Ibstock Johnsen Ltd (which would become Ibstock plc). The increased resources of the new group were used to continue the programme of expansion of brick making facilities and services. During this time Ibstock Building Products Ltd was the first brick manufacturer to offer specialist brickwork design advice, through its Brickwork Design Centre in major cities and a national team of Design Advisors.
In 1990 Ibstock Building Products acquired two new companies;
Hathernware Ltd and Ceba Ltd. Hathernware manufactured terracotta
and architectural faience and Ceba manufacture architectural
wet cast stone. Through continued expansion during the 1990s
another three stone factories were added.
At the beginning of its Centennial year, 1999, Ibstock joined
the CRH Group. The CRH Group has its headquarters in Dublin,
Ireland, click here to go to their website.
In 1999, the stone factories were transferred to Forticrete, a sister company in CRH and the Ibstock Group was formed of Ibstock Brick Ltd and Forticrete Ltd.
In 2003, the Company changed to Ibstock – Innovators in Clay – reflecting the company’s changing emphasis on business excellence through innovation and another chapter in Ibstock’s history started.
Ibstock Ltd now has 24 brick and paver plants with a total annual capacity in excess of 900 million bricks. The Company employs a total of 1960 people across the UK and has the backing of one of the world’s largest building materials companies.
As market leader in the UK, Ibstock is well-placed in the market and continuous investment in manufacturing equipment and people will ensure that it will prosper for many years to come.